Monday, April 3, 2017

Nungu Payasam, Palm Fruit Kheer, Ice Apple Payasam


          Last week I had bought this Palm Fruit, known as nungu in Tamil and also as Ice Apple. While waiting for the guy to remove them from the shell, I was talking to him, he asked me whether I needed the small tender ones or the thick matured ones. We like the tender ones at home, but then I asked the guy, whether someone asked for the matured ones. I was surprised to hear when he told that people actually asked for them and the guy didn't stop there, he also told me about this Payasam/ Kheer that they made with it. After coming home, I made this payasam, this is one of the most easy and delicious payasam that I had ever made..

Need To Have

  • Nungu/ Palm Fruit - 3 medium sized
  • Sugar - 2 to 3 tablespoons
  • Boiled & Chilled Milk - 1 cup
  • Cardamom - 2 small ones

Method


          Peel the nungu, the peeled nungu will look as shown in the picture. Roughly chop them and grind them with the sugar into a smooth paste.


          Take the inner pods from the cardamom, powder and keep it. Take the chilled milk and add the ground nungu paste and cardamom powder, mix it well and enjoy.


Note
Removing the outer skin from the nungu is a messy job, do it gently.
The ground nungu paste will be floating on the milk, and it just melts in the mouth when you eat the payasam.
I didn't use the very hard nungu, I used the ones that were soft but very slightly hard, if you grind the very soft ones, the paste will be watery.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. simple & yummy. i will try this when i get nungu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my fav.. missing it badly now it is in season right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This payasam looks so delicious and dreamy. I have never had this before, but I can tell I will love this

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not sen the palm fruit before, kheer looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete