Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Narthangai ( Citron ) Pachadi


          Narthangai/Citron Pachadi, this is my mother-in-law's recipe, the first time I tasted it, I simply loved it, and I wanted to try it out myself. Couple of months back, I got half a dozen of these citrons and I couldn't wait to make this pachadi. The recipe is very simple, but peeling and taking the inner part of the narthangai is the time consuming part. I peeled and made everything ready the previous night and made the pachadi the next morning. This pachadi can be had, mixed with some white rice or as a side with some curd rice, do try this, the next time you get narthangai..

Need To Have

  • Narthangai - 6
  • Red Chilly Powder - 11/2 teaspoon
  • Jaggery - 2 teaspoons
  • Asafoetida - 1/8 teaspoon
  • Mustard Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Curry Leaves - 10
  • Salt to taste

Method


           Peel and remove the inner pulp of the narthangai, as shown in the picture, I got about a cup of it.


          Heat some gingelly oil, add the mustard seeds, when it starts spluttering, add the fenugreek seeds followed by the asafoetida and curry leaves. Reduce the heat and add the chilly powder and mix.


          Add the narthangai pulp, salt and about 1/8 cup of water, salt and jaggery, mix and cook on reduced heat for 5 to 7 minutes and remove.


Note
Depending on the sourness and bitterness of the narthangai, add more or less chilly powder and jaggery, the final dish should have a hint of sweet, sour and bitter taste.
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. New recipe...sounds very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! looks so tempting!! I want to grab it now !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mango puchdi, my daughter makes very nice Kerala dishes. This is amazing, you have used this, it is lemon or orange, please tel me I want to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple ingredient but the recipe is superb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pachadi looks really good.. Nice color..

    ReplyDelete