Saturday, December 13, 2014

Watermelon Curry


          I think, the first time I saw or heard about this Watermelon Curry was on a TV show, it was about Rajasthani food, till then, I never even thought that a curry can be made with this fruit. I knew that we can use the white part of the watermelon in cooking, but the most that I could think to do with the red part was in juices, sorbets or some desserts. The show didn't give the recipe, so I turned to the web and the couple of blogs that I saw used a recipe from the book by Camellia Panjabi, '50 Great Curries Of India'. The list of ingredients that I have used is the same but I made the curry in my own regular way. This curry has a sweetish taste, but it also has a little spice in too, since we add chilly powder to it. It would go very well with stuffed parathas, since it has the sweet and spicy taste like the Mango Chunda, that we serve with parathas, do give it a try the next time you buy watermelon..

Need To Have

  • Diced Watermelon Pieces - 3 cups
  • Watermelon Juice - 1 cup
  • Garlic - 3 small cloves, chopped
  • Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Coriander Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
  • Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
  • Lemon Juice - 1 teaspoon
  • Salt to taste

Method

          Heat some oil, add the cumin seeds, when it starts sizzling, reduce the heat and add the turmeric, red chilly and coriander powders and the chopped garlic and saute till the garlic turns golden.


          Then add the watermelon juice and salt and cook for about 5 minutes, then add the lemon juice and the diced watermelon pieces, cook for about 3 to 5 minutes and remove.


Note
Cook the juice till thick, because once we add the fruit and cook, it again becomes watery, but don't cook it too long.
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. What a creative curry! I wish I could taste some of your awesome curry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how this will taste but am assuming that this may taste like watermelon gazpacho. I love the color of the curry here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Innovative curry with watermelon!

    ReplyDelete